Derby Goes Green
Caring for our planet makes perfect sense when you consider the Y’s three focus areas: youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
By going green, we’re taking steps to protect our children’s future. We’re supporting clean air and water for all. And we’re taking a stand for our earth…the only home we have.
We’ve eliminating disposable plastic water bottles. Runners and others are encouraged to bring their own re-usable water bottles. Water will also be provided from re-usable jugs, served in compostable cups.
- Food waste and cups will be composted. All items that can be recycled will be. Visit the Zero to Go stations and learn about waste reduction, recycling and composting!
- We’ve eliminating balloons. They tend to escape, ending up on land or in waterways where they pose a choking hazard to wildlife.
- We’ve eliminating the disposable plastic tablecloths that would just end up in landfills. Instead, we’re using cloth tablecloths.
Derby Goes Green is a Rye YMCA initiative that is supported by a dedicated team of community volunteers. The Derby Goes Green Committee is:
- John Borchert, Rye Middle School science teacher
- Lori Fontanes, Rye Y Cross District Wellness Committee
- Sara Goddard , Rye City Council Member, Rye Sustainability Committee
- Melissa Grieco, Chairperson, Rye Sustainability Committee, triathlete
- Kerry Linderoth, Director of Sustainability, Rye Country Day School
- Anne Mottola, school garden consultant, graphic designer
- Laura Kelleher, Rye YMCA
- Susan Olson, Rye YMCA
- Denise Woodin, Rye YMCA
Derby Goes Green is made possible through the generous support of the following local businesses and organizations:
- Curtis Spacavento Landscaping Corp.
- The Pearl Restaurant Group
- Rye Country Day School
- Rye Teachers Association.FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT DERBY GOES GREEN OR TO GET INVOLVED, CONTACT DENISE WOODIN AT 914-967-6363, EXT. 101 OR DENISE@RYEYMCA.ORG
- Tide Mill Yacht Basin
- Briggs Landscape Design
- Coldwell Banker Realty
© Rye YMCA. All Rights Reserved. Site by