PREVENTION AT THE RYE YMCA
[March 4, 2020] As a community-based organization committed to health and wellness, the Rye YMCA is taking a variety of measures to prevent the possible spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and other respiratory viruses at our facility. We have taken the following steps to keep our members, staff and program participants safe:
The Rye Y is closely monitoring communications from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), NYS Department of Health, and Westchester County Department of Health.
- We have advised Y staff and members to follow the basic flu-season guidelines (as recommended by public health agencies) for preventing respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If no tissue is at hand, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
We have communicated these guidelines in our
member e-newsletter, emails to members and staff, and signs throughout the
- We have posted signs throughout the building reminding members to wipe down equipment with disinfectant wipes after use.
- Our maintenance staff has installed four additional wall-mounted hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the building. They have also placed bottles of hand sanitizer in key locations throughout the building.
- In addition to our usual attention to cleanliness, our membership team is cleaning the member service desk, lobby tables, and door handles with disinfectant wipes once an hour.
- Our fitness staff is wiping surfaces in the fitness center, indoor cycling studio, and group exercise studio once an hour.
new virus requires caution and preparation, but we are hopeful that these
measures will help prevent the spread of coronavirus and other respiratory
illnesses in our facility. We urge our members and visitors to join us in
keeping our Rye Y community healthy and safe